Sunday 10 February 2013

Oink! and Charlie Brooker

Looking back over my blog postings I have noticed that there has been an over-emphasis on American cartoonists. I'm not sure why this has been - I do like British & European cartoonists like Tomi Ungerer, Gerald Scarfe, Ralph Steadman, Banx, Tony Husband as well as the cartoonists who appear in Viz. I hope to redress (address?) this in-balance in future posts.

I first learnt several years ago that Charlie Brooker - newspaper columnist, screen writer, critic, media commentator, author, satirist, video-games review, TV personality was also a cartoonist for the superb late-eighties children comic Oink!.However, at the time I couldn't find any images on the Internet  to actually see his efforts (several have since appeared).

I strongly recommend tracking down episodes of Screenwipe or its various spin-offs programmes. His collections of newspaper columns are also pretty good - although the quality is variable and reality-TV references date badly. I don't suppose he ever intended his weekly missives to be anthologized. On balance, he did alert me to the fantastic song "So What" by the "Anti-Nowhere League", for which I am very grateful.

Oink! ran for 68 issues over couple of years (1986-88). It was marketed as Viz-for-kids and featured several cartoonists who later contributed to Viz. I actively followed the comic from about 6-months after launch through to the end and also joined the fan-club.

I even remember submitting some cartoons myself. They didn't appear. Anyway, happy days!

Its taken me several years to finally re-discover my Oink! comic collection. I can quite understand archives who lose or misfile something only for it to be re-discovered years later...its easily done.

So, after a gap of 25 years, what are his cartoons like? Well - they're fairly basic and probably not the best examples in the comic but they're OK. He was only about 16 or 17 at the time. So pretty good considering.

Here are some images from Oink! Holiday Special 1989.

Oink! Holiday Special 1989

Charlie Brooker, Oink! Holiday Special 1989

Charlie Brooker, Oink! Holiday Special 1989

Charlie Brooker, Oink! Holiday Special 1989






No comments:

Post a Comment